Powerful Grocery Shopping
The Center for Science in the Public Interest recently released its list of “Best Foods” to buy…and our UCF Pegasus Health docs tend to agree. So the next time you’re heading to the grocery store, consider adding some of these power foods to your list.
1. Sweet Potatoes – One of the best veggies you can eat because they’re loaded with carotenoids, vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
2. Mangos – Just one cup provides 100 percent of a day’s vitamin C, one-third of a day’s vitamin A, potassium and three grams of fiber.
3. Unsweetened Greek Yogurt – It makes a great pairing with fruits and cereals, and provides twice the protein of ordinary yogurt.
4. Broccoli – It’s absolutely loaded with vitamin C, carotenoids, vitamin K and folic acid.
5. Wild Salmon – Full of omega-3 fats that can help prevent the risk of coronary diseases. And wild-caught salmon contains fewer contaminants than the farm-raised variety.
6. Crispbreads – Whole-grain rye crackers (a.k.a. “crispbreads”) are full of fiber and often are fat-free.
7. Garbanzo Beans – All beans are high in protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc. However, garbanzos are super versatile for cooking.
8. Watermelon – Two cups of watermelon have one-third of a day’s vitamins A and C, lots of potassium and a healthy dose of lycopene. They’re often grown locally, giving them a smaller carbon footprint.
9. Butternut Squash – One of the easiest ways to get loads of vitamins A and C, plus fiber.
10. Leafy Greens – Powerhouse greens like kale, collards and spinach represent some of the easiest ways to add vitamins A, C and K, folate, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, lutein and fiber to your diet.
Weekly Health Tips are brought to you by UCF Health, the College of Medicine’s physician practice. Offering primary and specialty care under one roof, UCF Health treats patients age 16 and up in primary care and age 18 and up for specialty care. Most major insurance plans are accepted. Two locations are now open: the original in East Orlando at Quadrangle and University boulevards just blocks from the main UCF campus and in Medical City at Narcoossee Road and Tavistock Lakes Boulevard. Schedule an appointment online today.