Coronavirus: Tips And Resources
With the Coronavirus (COVID-19) top of mind, it’s important to take precautions to be as safe as possible.
Assume that germs live everywhere. Viruses such as the Coronavirus enter our systems via the eyes, nose and mouth, so avoid germs getting to your face by being vigilant and keeping your hands clean. And as much as possible, avoid touching your face – by some estimates we touch our face about 90 times a day.
These tips are also helpful to follow:
1. Don’t shake hands. Instead, do a slight bow or a fist/elbow bump.
2. Be cautious about what you touch – and wash your hands after touching any public surface. For example, do not use your hand to grasp a door handle – unless there is no other way to open the door. Open doors with your closed fist or hip. This is especially important when you open doors that have been used by many people – such as the bathroom or a commercial shop.
3. Use your knuckle to touch things like light switches and elevator buttons in public locations. At the gas station, hold the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or disposable glove.
4. Use disinfectant wipes at stores wherever they are available. Wipe both the handle and child seat of grocery carts.
5. Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a hand sanitizer that is greater than 60% alcohol whenever you return home from any activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6. Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at home and in your car. Use the sanitizer after touching any public object.
UCF will be sharing information about COVID-19 at https://ucf.edu/safety/coronavirus, which can be visited for updates as they become available.
Weekly Health Tips are brought to you by UCF Health, the College of Medicine’s physician practice. Offering primary and specialty care under one roof, UCF Health treats patients age 16 and up in primary care and age 18 and up for specialty care. Most major insurance plans are accepted. Two locations are now open: the original in East Orlando at Quadrangle and University boulevards just blocks from the main UCF campus and in Medical City at Narcoossee Road and Tavistock Lakes Boulevard. Schedule an appointment online today.