Shazia Bég, M.D.
*Dr. Beg sees new patients with our fellows.
Dr. Shazia Bég is board certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology. She specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Dr. Bég’s clinical interests include inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis and non-inflammatory conditions such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. She also manages connective tissue diseases such as lupus, scleroderma and Sjogren’s syndrome.
Dr. Bég received her M.D. degree at SUNY Upstate Medical University, where she also did her Internal Medicine residency and was named to the University’s Gold Humanism Honor Society for her excellence in clinical care, leadership, compassion and dedication to service. Dr. Bég completed a clinical fellowship in rheumatology at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.
Dr. Bég is a member of the American College of Rheumatology and The International Society of Clinical Densitometry. She has volunteered at clinics for the underserved and during her fellowship conducted research to study disparities in access to care in minorities with lupus. Dr. Bég aims to make a difference by taking care of the growing segment of population with arthritis and rheumatism, helping improve their quality of life and well-being.
- Sharp RC, Bég SA, Naser SA. Polymorphisms Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase Non-receptor Type 2 and 22 (PTPN2/22) are Linked to Hyper-Proliferative T-Cells and Susceptibility to Mycobacteria in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 2018; 8:11
- Sharp RC, Bég SA, Naser SA. Role of PTPN2/22 polymorphisms in pathophysiology of Crohn’s disease. World J Gastroenterol 2018; 24(6): 657-670
- Warner LA, Bég S. Utilization of Complementary and Integrative Medicine among Lupus Patients: A Patient Centered Analysis of Perceived Effectiveness and Preference. International Congress on Integrative Medicine, Baltimore MD May 2018
- Updyke KM, Urso B, Bég SA. Developing a Continuous Quality Improvement Assessment Using a Patient-Centered Approach in Optimizing Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Control. Cureus 9(10): e1762 10.7759/cureus.1762, 2017
- Updyke KM, Urso B, Solomon JS, Bég S. Identifying the role of molecular mimicry with exogenous nucleic antigens in affecting the exacerbations and remissions of systemic lupus erythematous through patient centered outcome research methodology. American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, Orlando, March 2017
- DePesa NS, Bég S, Dotson K, Bhanusali N, Williams R, Cassisi J. Development and Implementation of an Interdisciplinary Chronic Pain Intervention for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Rehabilitation Psychology Conference, Albuquerque, NM. Feb 2017
- Bég S, Ziyar A. An Examination of Patient Knowledge and Education in Patients with Osteoporosis, Osteopenia and Normal Bone Mineral Density. Poster presentation at ACR/ARHP Annual Scientific Meeting, Washington DC, Nov 2016
- Bég S, Ahmed Ali. Relationships between Anxiety, Depression, Sleep, Fibromyalgia and BMI in Patients with Rheumatic Disease. Poster presentation at ACR/ARHPAnnual Scientific Meeting, San Francisco, Nov 2015
- Lewis S, Solomon J, Stines M, Ramshaw, Bég S. Designing a Continuous Quality Improvement Assessment System Utilizing Complex Adaptive Systems Science to Improve Treatment Outcomes in Patients with SLE. Am Fed Med Research Eastern Reg Mtg. Washington, DC April 2014
- Stines M, Solomon JA, Ramshaw B, Kolpashchikov DM, Lewis S, Domozych R, Bég S. Identifying the Role of Molecular Mimicry in SLE immune complex disease. Translational Science 2014 Annual Meeting, Washington DC April 2014
- Denisse Jones8/24/2020
Dr. Shazia Beg is FANTASTIC! She is extremely knowledgeable, professional, thorough, compassionate, caring, and empathetic. She is patient and takes the time to listen to your concerns and needs. I have been seeing Dr. Beg for several years now and my condition continues to improve. I feel so blessed to have her as my doctor. She is simply the BEST!
- Maggie Connor2/19/2020
Dr. Beg is very thorough in addition to being kind and attentive. She is aware of new treatments and keeps a close eye on blood work as a part of overall health. She works well with my PCP in keeping me going. I love the Practice and have been there for nearly 8 years. They're the Best!!