Abdo Asmar, M.D.
Dr. Abdo Asmar is board certified in internal medicine and nephrology. He specializes in caring for patients with kidney disease, high blood pressure, kidney stones and disorders of electrolyte and mineral metabolism.
Dr. Asmar received his M.D. degree at Kaunas Medical University in Kaunas, Lithuania. He did his residency at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, where he was named Chief Resident. He received his fellowship training in Clinical Nephrology at the University of Florida.
Dr. Asmar served as Cook County Hospital’s director of the Internal Medicine residency program recruitment committee and its Associate Firm Chief for the Categorical Medicine residency program. He is very active in medical education and has been honored with multiple teaching awards. He is residency director of the UCF College of Medicine’s Internal Medicine residency program in partnership with the Orlando VA Medical Center and Osceola Regional Medical Center. He serves on the board of the Florida chapter of the National Kidney Foundation.
- Alsabbagh MM, Asmar A, Ejaz NI, Aiyer R, Kambhampati G, Ejaz AA. Update on clinical trials for the prevention of acute kidney injury in cardiac surgery patients. Am J Surg. 2013 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:23411349.
- Asmar A, Iqbal S, Mohandas R, Ejaz NI,Shimada M,Maroz N, Dass B,Ejaz AA. Renal Support in Acute Kidney Injury. Minerva Urol Nefrol 2013;65:51-60.
- Asmar A, R Mohandas, Wingo CS A Physiologic-Based Approach to the Treatment of a patient with hypokalemia. Am J Kidney Dis. 2012 Sep;60(3): 492-7.
- Kambhampati G, Ross EA, Alsabbagh MM, Asmar A, Pakkivenkata U, Ejaz NI, Arif AA, Ejaz AA. Perioperative fluid balance and acute kidney injury. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2012 Mar 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ejaz AA, Asmar A, Alsabbagh MM, Ahsan N. Rituximab in immunologic glomerular diseases. MAbs 201, Mar 1;4(2). [Epub ahead of print]
- Kambhampati G, Asmar A, Pakkivenkata UK, Ather A, Ejaz AA. Anaerobic clavicular osteomyelitis following colonoscopy in a hemodialysis patient. Clinical and Experimental Nephrology 2011 Oct;15(5):780-2. Epub 2011 May 28.
- Lucas BP, Candotti C, Margeta B, Mba B, Kumapley R, Asmar A, Franco- Sadud R, Baru J, Acob C, Borkowsky S, Evans AT (2011). Hand-Carried Echocardiography by Hospitalists: A Randomized Trial. Am J Med.
- Abdo A, Edward A. Ross (2011). Post-parathyroidectomy thyrotoxicosis and atrial flutter: a case for caution. NDT Plus, 4 (2): 117-119.
- Shimada M, Dass B., Dhatt GS, Alsabbagh MM, Asmar AR, Ather IM, Sharma R, Ejaz AA (2010). Practical implications of recent clinical trials for the prevention of acute kidney injury in cardiovascular surgery. J Hosp Prac, 38: 1-7.
- Lucas BP, Candotti C, Margeta B, Evans AT, Mba B, Baru J, Asbury JK, Asmar A, Kumapley R, Patel M, Borkowsky S, Fung S, Charles-Damte M (2009). Diagnostic accuracy of hospitalist-performed hand-carried ultrasound echocardiography after a brief training program. J Hosp Med, 4: 340-349. PMID: 19670355.