Whether you’re an elite athlete, occupational athlete, or weekend warrior, sports medicine at UCF Health focuses on diagnosing your injury and getting you back in the game. We work with other members of your sports medicine team (primary care physician, surgeons, physical therapists, athletic trainers) to provide the best care possible.
Our Sports Medicine physicians specialize in the non-operative treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. Approximately 90 percent of all sports injuries are non-surgical. Some of the most common, non-operative orthopedic issues we treat include disorders of the shoulders, knees, hips, back, feet and hands.
Sports Medicine Services Available
- Care of acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, muscle strains, knee & shoulder injuries, and fractures)
- Care of overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff, achilles, and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Osteoarthritis disease management
- Injection therapies– cortisone, hyaluronic acid and platelet rich plasma (PRP) all under ultrasound guidance
- Management of tendon tears and tendinopathy(disease of the tendons)
- Concussion management
- Diagnostic Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Management of chronic conditions in athletes (i.e., infectious mononucleosis, diabetes, and asthma)
- Assessment of nutrition and performance issues
- Recommendations on appropriate strength training and conditioning activities
- Injury prevention
- “Return to play” decisions
- Pre-participation physicals
- Sports psychology
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment for neck pain, headaches, hip pain, knee pain and low back pain
Our Sports Medicine Physician
Michael Seifert, M.D.