Dr. Naveed Sami is an experienced board-certified dermatologist and Professor of Medicine at the UCF College of Medicine. In addition to caring for all aspects of general dermatology, he has a keen interest and expertise in complex medical dermatology with a specific focus in autoimmune and autoinflammatory skin diseases including autoimmune blistering diseases (such as pemphigus and pemphigoid), rheumatic/ connective tissue diseases (such as lupus and dermatomyositis), vasculitis, sarcoidosis, lichen planus, eczema, and psoriasis. He enjoys working in partnership with primary care providers and specialists.
Dr. Sami’s diverse training includes a medical degree from the Aga Khan University in Karachi, Pakistan, dermatology residency training at the University of Alabama, and a fellowship at Harvard University in the Department of Oral Medicine
Dr. Sami is a thought-leader who regularly contributes to peer-reviewed medical publications, and recently compiled a medical textbook with national and international experts outlining the treatment of autoimmune blistering diseases.
Since these diseases can be multisystemic, he enjoys working in partnership with other specialties, including dentistry, oral medicine, rheumatology, ENT, ophthalmology, and Ob/Gyn, along with primary care physicians.
- Hunt KM, Klager S, Kwak YJ, Sami N. Successful systemic treatment outcomes of lichen planus: A single-center retrospective review. Dermatol Ther. 2021 May;34(3):e14903. doi: 10.1111/dth.14903. Epub 2021 Mar 7.PMID: 33605044
- Kridin K, Ahn C, Huang WC, Ansari A, Sami N. Treatment Update of Autoimmune Blistering Diseases. Dermatol Clin. 2019 Apr;37(2):215-228. doi: 10.1016/j.det.2018.12.003. Epub 2019 Feb 14.PMID: 30850044 Review.
- Keeley JM, Bevans SL, Jaleel T, Sami N. Rituximab and low dose oral immune modulating treatment to maintain a sustained response in severe pemphigus patients. J Dermatolog Treat. 2019 Jun;30(4):340-345. doi: 10.1080/09546634.2018.1510173. Epub 2018 Sep 7.PMID: 30086663.
- Bevans SL, Parker J, Ivey JM, Pavlidakey P, Sami N. Rituximab as an Adjuvant Rescue Treatment for Ocular Cicatricial Pemphigoid. Cornea. 2021 Feb 15. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0000000000002683. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33591038.
- Jensen JD, Delcambre MR, Nguyen G, Sami N. Biologic therapy with or without topical treatment in psoriasis: what does the current evidence say? Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014 Oct;15(5):379-85. doi: 10.1007/s40257-014-0089-1.PMID: 25027461 Review.
- Dai C, Shih S, Ansari A, Kwak Y, Sami N. Biologic Therapy in the Treatment of Cutaneous Sarcoidosis: A Literature Review. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2019 Jun;20(3):409-422. doi: 10.1007/s40257-019-00428-8.PMID: 30895525 Review.
- Sami N. Nasal, pharyngeal, and laryngeal pemphigus vulgaris successfully treated with rituximab. Ear Nose Throat J. 2017 Apr-May;96(4-5):E35-E38.PMID: 28489243.
- Bevans SL, Sami N. The use of rituximab in treatment of epidermolysis bullosa acquisita: Three new cases and a review of the literature. Dermatol Ther. 2018 Nov;31(6):e12726. doi: 10.1111/dth.12726. Epub 2018 Oct 3.PMID: 30284354 Review.
- Cole EF, Sami N, Feldman RJ. Updates on diagnosis and management of autoimmune blistering diseases. G Ital Dermatol Venereol. 2020 Feb;155(1):46-64. doi: 10.23736/S0392-0488.19.06517-9. Epub 2019 Dec 4.PMID: 31804056 Review.
- Oak AS, Seminario-Vidal L, Sami N. Treatment of antiviral-resistant recurrent erythema multiforme with dapsone. Dermatol Ther. 2017 Mar;30(2). doi: 10.1111/dth.12449. Epub 2016 Nov 18.PMID: 27860166.
For a full list of Dr. Sami’s publications, please click here.