Two UCF Pegasus Health Physicians Win Hygeia 2013 Honors
Two faculty physicians at UCF Pegasus Health, the College of Medicine physician practice, received honors February 15 at Hygeia 2013, the annual medical student student-sponsored gala.
Dr. Sergio Salazar, who practices internal medicine at UCF Pegasus Health, received an Attending Physician of the Year award for being “an exceptionally skilled educator and positive role model who inspires students to become outstanding physicians.” Dr. Abdo Asmar, a UCF Pegasus Health nephrologist, was named M-2 Professor of the Year by the College of Medicine’s 80 second-year students for his teaching ability and mentorship.
Hygeia capped off a busy week at the medical school that included final exams, research projects and the announcement that the UCF College of Medicine was granted full accreditation. The event was held at the Orlando Science Center and included dinner, dancing and a silent auction.
In addition to Drs. Salazar and Asmar, other Students’ Choice Awards winners were:
- Staff Member of the Year – Soraya Smith
- M-1 Professor of the Year – Dr. Vania Zayat
- Faculty Member Who Most Embodies the UCF Spirit – Dr. Judith Simms-Cendan and Dr. James Sanders
- Clerkship Director of the Year – Dr. Lori Boardman
- Clerkship Coordinator of the Year – Katherine Newsum
- Attending of the Year – Dr. Nick Avgeropoulos