Marcy L. Verduin, M.D.
Dr. Verduin is currently only seeing referrals from UCF Health primary care physicians.
Dr. Verduin is the Associate Dean for Students and a Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine. She is board-certified in Adult Psychiatry with added qualifications in Addictions and has extensive experience with undergraduate and graduate medical education, research and clinical practice.
Dr. Verduin received her bachelor’s degree in chemistry from the New College of Florida and her M.D. degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine. She then completed a psychiatric residency at the Medical University of South Carolina, where she later became a chief resident. She also completed her post-doctoral fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina, which was funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, as well as an addiction psychiatry fellowship.
In 2007, Dr. Verduin became the first psychiatry faculty member at UCF’s new medical school, where she played an integral role in the development of the curriculum across the four-year educational program. In 2010, she moved into the role of Associate Dean for Students, overseeing the areas of Admissions, Student Academic Support, Student Financial Services, Student Records, Student Services, and Student Wellness. She serves as a member of the Board of Regents for the American College of Psychiatrists, the Book Editor for the Journal of Psychiatric Practice, and as an ad hoc reviewer for psychiatric, education, and addictions journals.
Dr. Verduin has served as the principal investigator or a co-investigator on several clinical and human laboratory trials, including a Career Development (K23) Award through the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Her clinical work is based at UCF Health, where she provides consultative services on an outpatient basis. She recently concluded her term as President of the Association for Academic Psychiatry, and she is currently serving as the Vice Chair of the AAMC Southern Group on Student Affairs.
- Green EP, Dallaghan GL, O’Hearn DJ, Verduin ML, Zehle CH. Establishing fair and ethical medical student promotions committees. Med Sci Educ, in press.
- Cendan JC, Castiglioni A, Johnson TR, Eakins M, Verduin ML, Asmar A, Metcalf D, Hernandez C. Quantitative and qualitative analysis of the impact of adoption of a mobile application for the assessment of professionalism in medical trainees. Acad Med 2017;92:S33-S42.
- Verduin ML. Improving the recruitment of medical students into psychiatry. Acad Psychiatry 2017;41(2):207-12.
- Verduin ML. Commentary on 2 cases of takotsubo cardiomyopathy involving psychotropic medication. J Psychiatr Pract, 2016;22(3):239-40.
- Dube B, Verduin M. A brief examination of integrated care in undergraduate medical education. Acad Psychiatry 2015;39(4):457-60.
- Verduin M, Balon R, Coverdale J, Louie A, Beresin E, Roberts L. The rising cost of medical education and its significance for (not only) psychiatry. Acad Psychiatry 2014;38(3):305-8.
- Verduin ML. Design and implementation of a novel behavioral sciences course for first year medical students. Acad Psychiatry 2014;38(1):96-9.
- Verduin M, Boland RJ, Guthrie TM. New directions in medical education related to psychiatry. Int Rev Psychiatry 2013;25(3):338-46.
- Verduin ML, LaRowe SD, Myrick H, Cannon-Bowers J, Bowers C. Computer simulation games as an adjunct for treatment in male veterans with alcohol use disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2013;44:316-22.
- Bowers C, Procci K, Joyce R, Verduin M, LaRowe S, Cannon-Bowers JA,
- Smith, P. Serious games for therapy: a training perspective. Journal of Cybertherapy and Rehabilitation 2011;4(4):447.
- Gao K, Chan PK, Verduin ML, Kemp DE, Tolliver BK, Ganocy SJ, Bilali S,
- Brady KT, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Independent predictors for lifetime and recent substance use disorders in patients with rapid-cycling bipolar disorder: focus on anxiety disorders. Am J Addict 2010;19:440-9.
- Joyce R, Verduin M, LaRowe S, Bowers C, Cannon-Bowers J. Lessons learned: adult learners and serious game design. Journal of Instruction Delivery Systems 2009;23(3):6-16.
- McRae-Clark AL, Verduin ML, Tolliver BK, Carter RE, Wahlquist AE, Brady
- KT, Cluver JS, Anderson S. An open-label trial of aripiprazole treatment in dual diagnosis individuals: safety and efficacy. J Dual Diagn 2009;5(1):83-96.
- Abulseoud OA, Hellmann G, Calabrese JR, Verduin ML, Chirichigno JW,
- McKowen J, Gitlin MJ, Altshuler LL, Frye MA. Sex and Bipolar Subtype Association with Self-Reported Hazardous Alcohol Consumption in Bipolar Depression. J Dual Diagn 2008;4(3):291-302.
- Gao K, Tolliver B, Kemp DE, Verduin ML, Ganocy SJ, Bilali S, Brady K, Shim
- SS, Findling R, Calabrese JR. Differential interactions between comorbid anxiety disorders and substance use disorder in rapid cycling bipolar I or II disorder. J Affect Disord 2008;110(1-2):167-73.
- Tolliver BK, McRae AL, Verduin ML, Anderson SJ, Brady KT. Reversible elevation of triglycerides in dual diagnosis patients taking aripiprazole: a case series. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008;28(4):464-7.
- Gao K, Verduin ML, Kemp DE, Tolliver B, Ganocy SJ, Elhaj O, Brady K, Findling RL, Calabrese JR. Clinical correlates of patients with rapid cycling bipolar disorder and a recent history of substance use disorder: a subtype comparison from baseline data of 2 randomized, placebo-controlled trials. J Clin Psychiatry 2008;69(7):1057-63.
- Brady KT, Verduin ML, Tolliver BK. Treatment of patients comorbid for addiction and other psychiatric disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2007;9(5):374-80.
- Verduin ML, Payne RA, McRae AL, Back SE, Simpson SA, Sarang RY, Brady KT. Assessment of club drug use in a treatment-seeking sample of individuals with marijuana dependence. Am J Addict 2007;16:1-4.
- Verduin ML, Upadhyaya H. Beating nicotine: medication algorithm helps teens quit. Current Psychiatry 2007;6(10):65-74.
- Verduin ML, McKay S, Brady KT. Gabapentin in comorbid anxiety and substance use. Am J Addict 2007;16:1-2.
- Waldrop AE, Back SE, Verduin ML, Brady KT. Triggers for cocaine and alcohol use in the presence and absence of posttraumatic stress disorder. Addict Behav 2007;32:634-9.
- Brady KT, Tolliver BK, Verduin ML. Alcohol use and anxiety: diagnostic and management issues. Am J Psychiatry 2007;164:217-21.
- Back SE, Brady KT, Sonne SC, Verduin ML. Symptom improvement in co-occurring PTSD and alcohol dependence. J Nerv Ment Dis 2006;194(9):690-6.
- Verduin ML, Carter RE, Brady KT, Myrick H, Timmerman M. Health service use among persons with comorbid bipolar and substance use disorders. Psychiatr Serv 2005; 56(4):475-80.
- Brady KT, Verduin ML. Pharmacotherapy of co-morbid mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders. Subst Use Misuse 2005; 40:2021-41.
- Verduin ML, Labbate LA. Psychosis and delirium following Metabolife use. Psychopharmacol Bull 2002 Summer; 36(3):42-5.
- Shapira NA, Verduin ML, DeGraw JD. Treatment of refractory major depression with tramadol monotherapy. J Clin Psychiatry 2001 Mar; 62(3):205-6.
Books and Book Chapters:
- Contributor to Study Guide to Geriatric Psychiatry: A Companion to the American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Geriatric Psychiatry, 5th Edition. Edited by Muskin PR, Dickerman AL. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. 2017.
- Contributor to Study Guide to Substance Abuse Treatment: A Companion to The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 5th Edition. Edited by Muskin PR. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., 2015.
- Contributor to Study Guide to the American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Personality Disorders, 2nd edition. Edited by Muskin PR. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., 2015.
- Verduin ML. Reviewing the clinical landscape: update on the treatment of opioid use disorders in pregnancy. FOCUS 2017;V15(4):10-11.
- Verduin ML. Ask the expert: treatment strategy for co-occurring bipolar disorder and alcohol abuse. FOCUS 2007;V(2):170-1.
- Verduin ML, Tolliver BK, Brady KT. Substance abuse and bipolar disorder. MedScape, posted December 5, 2005.