Sowmya Suryanarayanan, M.D., MRCP, FACP
Dr. Sowmya Suryanarayanan is a board-certified endocrinologist serving the Greater Orlando area. She has a special interest in diabetes technology, thyroid and parathyroid disorders, performing thyroid sonogram and biopsy procedures and teaching students and residents. Dr. Surya is a Fellow with the American College of Physicians and Fellow of American College of Endocrinologists. She is also Certified Diabetes Technology Clinician and Member of Royal College of Physicians.
Dr. Surya completed her fellowship in diabetes, endocrinology and metabolism at the University of Michigan. Her clinical training began in India and she then trained in the UK for approximately six years and obtained her membership of Royal College of Physicians. She trained at Kings College and St. Thomas Hospital in London in addition to Oxford and Royal Liverpool University Hospital in Liverpool. She trained in Specialist Lipidology in London for a year. She trained at Brown University for her residency in internal medicine and University of Michigan Hospital systems for her fellowship in endocrinology. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and American Board of Endocrinology. She also has Endocrine Certification of Neck Ultrasound by American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine and American College of Endocrinology.
Dr. Surya is passionate about helping patients identify the root cause of their symptoms. Dr. Surya has conducted research on a wide variety of topics including the effects of growth hormone and remains actively engaged in new and evolving aspects of endocrine care. Over her years of clinical experience, she has served in several roles as Honorary Assistant Clinical Professor at University of Colorado Hospitals, written protocols in streamlining care for diabetes management in hospitals in cardiovascular patients and also taught residency students, physician assistant students and community physicians. Prior to joining UCF Health, Dr. Surya worked at Morton Plant Hospital/ St. Anthony’s hospital of Baycare Health Systems in Clearwater, Florida and prior to that lived in Colorado.
- Surya Sowmya, Jeffrey F. Horowitz, Naila Goldenberg, Alla Sakharova, Matthew Harber, Andrea S. Cornford, Kathy Symons, and Ariel L. Barkan. The pattern of GH delivery to peripheral tissues determines IGF-1 and lipolytic responses in obese subjects Mol Endocrinol,August 2009, 23 (8):1306-1307
- Surya Sowmya, Jeffrey F. Horowitz, Naila Goldenberg, Alla Sakharova, Matthew Harber, Andrea S. Cornford, Kathy Symons, and Ariel L. Barkan. The pattern of GH delivery to peripheral tissues determines IGF-1 and lipolytic responses in obese subjects Endocrine Reviews, August 2009, 30(5):536 –543
- Surya Sowmya, Jeffrey F. Horowitz, Naila Goldenberg, Alla Sakharova, Matthew Harber, Andrea S. Cornford, Kathy Symons, and Ariel L. Barkan. The pattern of GH delivery to peripheral tissues determines IGF-1 and lipolytic responses in obese subjects J Clin Endocrinol Metab published May 26, 2009 10.1210/jc.2009-0638
- Surya Sowmya, Surya Sowmya, Barkan AB: GH receptor antagonist: mechanism of action and clinical Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2005 Jan;6(1):5-13.
- Surya Sowmya, Symons Kathleen; Rothman Edward; Barkan Ariel L Complex rhythmicity of growth hormone secretion in humans. Pituitary 2006;9(2):121-5.
- Alla A Sakharova , Jeffrey F Horowitz Sowmya Surya, Naila Goldenberg , Matthew P Harber , Kathy Symons, and Ariel Barkan : Role of Growth Hormone in regulating Lipolysis, proteolysis and hepatic glucose production during fasting. J Clin Endocrinol Metab .July 2008 93(7): 2755-2759
- The Magnitude of Growth Hormone Pulse Amplitude Helps Regulate the Elevated Lipolytic Rate during Prolonged Fasting. Naila Goldenberg , Jeff Horowitz , Ashraf Gorgey , Alla Sakharova , Sowmya Surya and Ariel Barkan. School of Kinesiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. School of Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI School of Physical Therapy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. ABSTRACT AT Endo Society Presentation Number: MON-665Date of Presentation: June 25, 2012
- Sowmya, KS, Baskaran, V and Radhakrishanan S. Complement, Immunoglobulin and Histochemical Study of Renal Disorder. Journal of Association of Physicians of India 1992, 40, No.12 Pg-840
- Sowmya KS and Swaminathan, R. Hypercalcemia and Malignancy. Continuing Medical & Professional Development Journal of United Kingdom 2000 Vol 2 No3 Sept: 115-116
- Sowmya Surya, Wierzbicki AS and Carr, Hypertriglyceridemia and NK Cell Lymphoma, International Journal Of Clinical Practice, Dec 2003, Vol 57 No 10 Pg 921-22.