His practice focuses on diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, thyroid disorders, dyslipidemia, adult growth hormone replacement and general endocrinology. He has a particular interest in intensive glucose monitoring and optimal treatment of diabetes and its complications in the outpatient setting, in hospitalized patients and at the societal level.
Dr. Rizvi received his M.D. degree at King Edward Medical College in Lahore, Pakistan. He completed his residency in Internal Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic and a fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at Stanford University.
He has held academic positions at the Medical College of Georgia, University of South Carolina and Emory University. Dr. Rizvi has had extensive experience in teaching endocrine fellows, internal medicine residents and medical students. His distinguished teaching and scholarship efforts have been recognized by the Community-Based Teaching Award from the American College of Physicians, a Teaching Advancement Award, and the A.T. Chalk Endowed Chair Professorship in Internal Medicine from the University of South Carolina for several years. Dr. Rizvi has received an impressive number of research grants and has produced 130- plus peer-reviewed publications and volunteers extensively in the community.
Caring for his patients and training future doctors give him the greatest satisfaction. “I am excited to join the UCF College of Medicine because I can align my work philosophy with the UCF goals of excellence and compassionate patient care, teaching and mentoring of future doctors, contributing to medical research and scholarship, and giving back to the community through service and volunteering,” he said. “I strive to keep my patients’ best interests as my highest priority.”
- Giglio RV, Stoian AP, Pafili K, Maria Patti AM, Rizvi AA, Ciaccio M, Papanas N, Rizzo M. Novel molecular markers of cardiovascular disease risk in diabetes (submitted).
- Banerjee Y, Stoian AP, Silva-Nunes J, Sonmez A, Rizvi AA, Rizzo M. The Role of GLP-1 Receptor Agonists during Covid-19 Pandemia (submitted).
- Nikolic D, Giglio RV, Rizvi AA, Patti AM, Montalto G, Maranta F, Cianflone D, Stoian AP, Rizzo M. Liraglutide Reduces Carotid Intima-Media Thickness by Reducing Small Dense Low-Density Lipoproteins in a Real-World Setting of Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: A Novel Anti-Atherogenic Effect. Diabetes Ther. 2020 Nov 18. doi: 10.1007/s13300-020-00962-3. Online ahead of print. PMID: 33210276.
- Giglio RV, Carruba G, Cicero AFG, Banach M, Patti AM, Nikolic D, Cocciadiferro L, Zarcone M, Montalto G, Stoian AP, Banerjee Y, Rizvi AA, Toth PP, Rizzo M. Pasta Supplemented with Opuntia Ficus-Indica Extract improves Metabolic Parameters and Reduces Atherogenic Small Dense Low-Density Lipoproteins in Patients with Risk Factors for the Metabolic Syndrome: a Four-Week Intervention Study. Metabolites. 2020 Oct 26;10(11):E428. doi: 10.3390/metabo10110428. PMID: 33114614.
- Patti AM, Carruba G, Cicero AFG, Banach M, Nikolic D, Giglio RV, Terranova A, Soresi M, Giannitrapani L, Montalto G, Stoian AP, Banerjee Y, Rizvi AA, Toth PP, Rizzo M. Daily Use of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with High Oleocanthal Concentration Reduced Body Weight, Waist Circumference, Alanine Transaminase, Inflammatory Cytokines and Hepatic Steatosis in Subjects with the Metabolic Syndrome: A 2-Month Intervention Study. Metabolites. 2020 Oct 2; 10(10):E392. doi: 10.3390/metabo10100392. PMID: 33023123.
- Giglio RV, Nikolic D, Volti GL, Stoian AP, Banerjee Y, Magan-Fernandez A, Castellino G, Patti AM, Chianetta R, Castracani CC, Montalto G, Rizvi AA, Sesti G, Rizzo M. Liraglutide Increases Serum Levels of MicroRNA-27b, -130a and -210 in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Novel Epigenetic Effect. Metabolites. 2020 Sep 30; 10(10):E391. doi: 10.3390/metabo10100391. PMID: 33008044.
- Sachinidis A, Nikolic D, Stoian AP, Papanas N, Tarar O, Rizvi AA, Rizzo M. Cardiovascular outcomes trials with incretin-based medications: a critical review of data available on GLP-1 receptor agonists and DPP-4 inhibitors. Metabolism. 2020 Aug 15:154343. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2020.154343. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32810485.
- Stoian AP, Papanas N, Prazny M, Rizvi AA, Rizzo M. Incretin-based Therapies Role in COVID-19 era: Evolving Insights. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther. 2020 Jul 3: doi: 10.1177/1074248420937868. PMID: 32618198.
- Stoian AP, Sachinidis A, Stoica RA, Nikolic D, Patti AP, Rizvi AA. The Efficacy and Safety of Dipeptyl Peptidase-4 Inhibitors Compared to other Oral Glucose-lowering Medications in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes. Metabolism. 2020 Aug;109:154295. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2020.154295. Epub 2020 Jun 15. PMID: 32553739.
- Rizvi AA. A Critical Analysis of the Association between Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals and Human Metabolic Disorders. Journal of Modern Medicinal Chemistry. 2020;8:19-32.